The D. Diogo de Sousa Museum was founded in 1918. It was revitalised as the Regional Museum of Archaeology in 1980 and since then its activity has essentially been the preservation and divulgation of Braga’s archaeological patrimony. The Museum is housed in a specially designed building in the centre of what was the Roman City of Bracara Augusta. Its collection mostly comprises of items from excavations that took place in the city. This guide-book has been created to help the visitor understand the history of the Museum, its architecture and its collections. The items on exhibition are the result of archaeological projects and investigations that are currently taking place in the region and cover the period from the Palaeolithic up to the Early Middle Age.